Friday, December 31, 2010

MTV Can't Hide Truth of Abortion Trauma Despite its Best Efforts

Jill Stanek makes several good points in her post about MTV's "No Easy Decision" episode of 16 and Pregnant. Here is one point I should have spent more time unpacking in my post from yesterday, because it is a central takeaway from the episode
:

But there was no getting around how disturbed the post-abortive mothers were in its aftermath, despite their rhetoric.

I discussed No Easy Decision with a single young woman who also watched it. She is pro-life, but I was still surprised by her take. She said she had always focused on the fact that abortion was murder but never took the aborting mothers into account. “I just thought they had their abortions and got on with life,” she told me.

But when she saw the pain abortion leaves behind – how “you remember, you can’t forget,” as Markai said… how, despite Katie stating, “I didn’t have a lot of regret or sentimental feelings,” she still cried and admitted she has trouble being around her young nephew now – my friend said she was saddened for them and got a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. “I never ever want to be in that situation,” she told me. That was her take-away.

Thus, although MTV and its backers tried their best to promote abortion as acceptable, common, and for the greater good, the reality that what abortion does and the aftermath it leaves behind still came through.

As they say, do read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment